Thursday, November 8, 2012

Weeks 15 & 16

The baby is growing big now! Most of the features are already formed and organs are starting to work. For week 15, the baby is about 4 inches long (head to rear) and weighs about 2.5 ounces. This doesn't seem like much, but I was eating a Reese's cup this morning (after my breakfast!) and it weighs .75 ounces, so it's about 3.5 Reese cups :) Which actually has some weight to it... I know not much but it is nice to have something to compare it to. 

The baby is moving around a lot now and he or she's legs are growing longer than the arms and all of the joints are able to move now. The taste buds and lungs are starting to develop also. I read that the baby can sense light, even though the eyelids are still fused shut, and if you shine a flashlight on your belly the baby will move away from the light inside.. isn't that cool? Brent thinks it is cruel so we haven't done it... I have been craving a lot of spicy foods- of course if you didn't guess already cheese dip with jalapenos. I am so happy that I don't hate it during pregnancy. I was a little scared at first when I wasn't feeling well- but we are all clear now! :) 

The weather got really chilly this week and I came down with a cold. It wasn't terrible, but I did rest a lot and try to take it easy. I didn't go to work on Friday and slept most of the morning which was needed and I think helped a lot. Saturday was our 5 year wedding anniversary! It's hard to believe that we've been married for 5 years, but they have been wonderful. 

Here is a picture we took during week 15. (I'm sorry we forgot to close the toilet seat, ha)



This Tuesday was the mark of week 16! Which if you go by the first week of pregnancy, this means that I am in the middle of being 4 months pregnant- gosh that seems weird. (the calendar I saw uses some months as 4 weeks and some as 5, but I am sure there are lots of different ones out there) I have read and heard that this week may be the beginning of starting to feel the baby move- maybe not for a few more weeks, but there is a possibility. I haven't felt anything yet and if I have I surely didn't know what it was. I am really looking forward to that moment... I find myself going back to listen to the heartbeat we recorded from our 14 week appointment on my phone and just grinning while it plays- it makes me so happy! 

The baby this week is 4 1/2" long and about 3.5 ounces- which if we use the Reese's cup weight again, that is almost 5 Reese cups! He/she is growing so much now each week. The baby is compared to the size of an avocado. There are a few external things going on this week- the legs are growing longer, the body is developing tiny hairs all over, the scalp is starting to pattern, the eyes and ears are moving towards their final position, the head is sitting more up on the neck and the heart is pumping about 25 quarts of blood each day! As the baby grows the blood volume will grow too. The doctor said that I would start gaining more weight now too which I noticed I have! My weight is up to 135.5 pounds, which is a total 5.5 pound gain. My waist is also measuring 33" which is a total of 3" in growth. I can tell and feel that my waist is lost now and more straight than before. Most of my clothes are still fitting, just my pants aren't buttoning or even being able to zip any longer. Thank goodness for the belly band that covers them being open and holds them up! What a great invention. I have a few maternity clothes that I am starting to wear but not enough for every day of the week yet. 

The doctor told me at our last visit that I could start to jog again if I wanted to. I've been walking but have really missed being able to run. This week my Mom and I ran (and walked) about 2 miles two different times and it felt great. I am out of breath a lot quicker now but being able to walk when needed is perfect. I am being very careful to take it easy and not overdo it. I am just glad to be able to move around! Although, I must say running is VERY different while pregnant. Not only do I feel slightly heavier, but it is weird having something new in your body and feeling your belly move around since it hasn't before. The doctor has assured us that the baby can't feel a thing and it won't hurt anything to run. I have felt fine since doing this and plan to continue a few times a week- as long as it isn't freezing outside! 

Below is the picture from week 16. 



I will have more photos to post on my next entry at week 18- that is when we go back for a sonogram and get to see our baby again and to find out the gender-- so if anyone has any guesses I would love to hear them :) See you in a few weeks...

No comments:

Post a Comment